Chefs Harvesting & Educational Foundation's Mission
CHEF is dedicated to putting the Farm to Fork movement into action. It is our mission to reconnect people to their food, both in the garden, at their dinner table, and when they dine in local restaurants. We strive to market and promote the food culture of the greater Sacramento region and it's rich agricultural history. We are an advocate for all things Farm to Fork and will continue to develop the brand through marketing, hosting signature Sacramento events, and promoting food and beverage tourism.
The CHEF Foundation has also planted the seeds of it's first Urban Farm in West Sacramento that is dedicated to helping grow food for the local community, creating jobs for local refugees through the IRC's New Roots program, and bringing chefs back to the farm.
At CHEF, we want to cultivate healthy relationships between all farm to fork organizations while creating a strong network of sustainability. We will realize this dream through educational projects, building urban farms, and helping to grow awareness of the Sacramento region and its culinary connection to local farms.
Chefs Harvesting & Educational Foundation's Goals
- Create a Marketing program that will be used to promote our regions vibrant food scene
- Recruit and maintain a steady work force for Farm to Fork restaurants in our region
- Establish a network of restaurants & farmers markets for our farmers to sell their produce to.
- Support local programs that promote food literacy.
- Develop healthy relationships between farmers and Chefs.
- Grow awareness of the Sacramento region and its culinary connection to local farms.
- Show community support for the development of Urban Farms in our community.
- Promote our Farm to Fork movement outside of our region.
- Creating a series of Sacramento signature events that benefit our movement.
- We want to cultivate healthy relationships between all farm to fork organizations while creating a strong network of sustainability.
How Our Urban Farms Will Work
We have partnered with the International Rescue Committee to build a five acre urban farm in west Sacramento, that will provide work for local refugees that are relocating to Sacramento for a new start in life. Our goal is to help this modle of farming to grow throughout our entire region.
Our farmers are selling their produce to local restaurants and farmers markets creating a revenue source for their families, while helping to further Sacramento's commitment to the Farm To Fork lifestyle. Through the success of this urban farm, we will bring food awareness and education to our local communities and children. Reconnecting our communities to the food they eat, through on site education, classroom visits, and educational cooking events, highlighting our deep relationship to food. Through our project Chefs and farmers will be able to grow together and learn from one another, we are bringing the fork back to the farm! #fork2farm
Our mission will only be successful one plant and one urban farm at a time, so please spread the word and help us grow!